Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Poetry

This spring I took Poetry Writing with Heather McNaugher. (A warning to fall '09 students--she is a fantastic teacher and generally very informal but prefers to be called Dr. McNaugher. I can't get used to it so I don't talk to her without first making eye contact. Kind of like I did when I was a kid and at a friend's house and wasn't sure how to address my friends' parents...Mr? Mrs? First name?).

Anyhow, it was a wonderful class and I've decided to make poetry writing my main focus, though I still plan to finish my CNF dual focus. I don't know what I'll decide to do for my thesis. Just poetry, a little bit of both. We shall see.

I have always loved the idea of writing poetry, of being a person who writes poetry, but I've never felt confident in my ability to turn out anything coherent or meaningful. But now, all of a sudden, I feel like a natural and am pleased with my own work for the first time in a long time. To focus in on a single event, a single topic, a single thought is so liberating. What I like most about writing is that it often feels like a puzzle--and I must figure out how the pieces fit together, sounding them out again and again until I get a sentence right. In CNF this slows me down, but in poetry this is the whole point. CNF has felt so cumbersome to me lately. Not reading it--I love reading it--but writing it. I hope to join up with you all in the spring of '10. We have such a rapport that I'd rather not lose. But if you want to send me anything, I'd be glad to read and respond. You all have so much say. (And I do too, I just need a break from prose I think...)

Here are two poems I'm proud of from this semester:

Amber Street
Yours is a locked ward
and a guard stands sentry at the gate.
He runs a wand lightly over my arms and legs
in case I've brought something to
spring you out.

I saw you pour the pills
down the drain, watched
them melt into a gluey mess.
And I heard you creep
through our room at night,
snip quietly at my dresses
with red-handled scissors.
You'd fold each dress and
tuck it carefully in my drawer,
cut up like a paper snowflake.

Now you lie in this hospital bed,
curled like a morning glory at night.
I tug the stiff sheet down,
work a knot at the base of your spine,
and think of the night
I passed out on Amber Street.

A late autumn party,
a swarm of kids on the lawn.
You caught me as I stepped off the curb
and crumpled like a shriveled brown leaf.

I smelled of Bud Light and vomit,
but you held me firmly.
You held me as though I might break.


Double Yellow Lines (for Erik)
My blond tangles run wild against your chest
and I finger the dark beard that climbs your face like ivy.
The streetlight casts us in muted yellow
as we lie on blue pillows
in our brand new bed.

I chatter like a friendly child
and you listen like a loving mother as
I chronicle my life in bursts--

When I was young I brought lilacs to my teachers in spring,
stems wrapped in foil, a makeshift vase.

At sixteen I tried hard to swear,
vowed to say "fuck" at least once per day, though I winced every time.

And now I've driven drunk down every street of this town--
over bridges, through tunnels, eyes fixed firmly on the doubling yellow line.

4 comments:

emilyrodgers said...

Also, if interested I have a poems and lyrics blog as well. I started it this semester:

http://emilyrodgerspoemslyrics.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Emily, thanks for sharing these. I'm liking what you're doing in poems--a lot. I'm only wishing for more at the ends of them--I feel left dangling. I subscribed to your poetry blog.

P.S. Good advice about Heather (er...Dr. McNaugher). I can't get used to it either--I do the same thing.

Janice Anderson said...

poetry indeed. i will look forward to reading your work as you "chronicle your life in bursts"
because it seems to me, like the very buds in the garden below my window, your life is bursting to see the sunshine and feel the rain.

emilyrodgers said...

Thanks, A & J. A beautiful way to put it, Janice. You're right. I think I'm waking up from a long sleep.